Dear Dental Patients in Mount Olive,
It was recently in the news that an Oklahoma oral surgeon exposed his patients to infectious diseases over the course of many years. This shocking and horrific news has prompted this office to generate a general public information bulletin to inform patients of some of the procedures and protocols that take place in this dental office to protect your health and safety during dental visits.
Mount Olive Dental Protocols and Procedures
- The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill School of Dentistry’s protocols for infection control and sterilization are followed in this office.
- Dr. Kimes, your dental hygienists, and dental assistants wear gloves, masks, and face shields or goggles.
- Dr. Kimes and staff wash hands and change gloves with every patient.
- Dental hand-pieces are cleaned, bagged, and sterilized prior to use on each patient.
- All dental instruments are scrubbed, cleaned with ultrasonic waves in a disinfecting solution, sterile bagged, and autoclaved according to guidelines set forth by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention and UNC – Chapel Hill’s Dental School.
- All Autoclaves are tested weekly through independent lab analysis conducted at the University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill School of Dentistry. A copy of every single test conducted by this office is available for your review, should you request it.
- All work surfaces are cleaned with hospital grade surface disinfectants. A digital timer is used to verify the recommended soaking time is achieved to obtain the full benefit of the disinfectant solution.
- Any disposable article that is used or opened during the course of your treatment is permanently discarded after your visit. No disposable items are ever used again after your visit.
- Dr. Kimes and staff are tested and vaccinated for the Hepatitis B virus. The annual flu vaccine is administered to every staff member prior to flu season.
- Each x-ray holder is individually bagged and sterilized.
- Our staff performs regularly scheduled audits and tests on our equipment and procedures throughout the year. A schedule of these audits and tests is available for your review upon your request.
Mount Olive Family Dentistry is committed to excellent, safe, and healthy dental care for you, your family, and your community. If any questions or concerns arise regarding your dental care, treatment, or services you have received, contact our office at (919) 658-9511.